Winners of IPC Hand Soldering Competition at Focus on PCB Announced
For the first time, IPC hosted a regional hand soldering competition in Vincenza, Italy, at Focus on PCB May 17-18. Welcoming 28 competitors representing 20 Italian companies, contestants competed to build an assembly in accordance with IPC-A-610, Class 3 criteria and were judged on the functionality of the assembly, compliance with the assembly process, and overall product quality. IPC Master Instructors (MIT) from IPC training center GestLabs judged contestants, allowing a maximum of one hour to complete the process.
Taking top honors this year were:
- In first place: Alessandro Manicone, Elettronica GF, with a score of 546 out of a possible 558. Manicone will compete for the World Championship title in November at productronica in Munich.
- Second place: Enrico Zanchetta, Ermes Elettronica, with a score of 530.
- Third place: Giorgio Agnielli, Dynamos, with a score of 520.
This year’s Best Company Team trophy was presented to PCB Design, with the top team performance score, led by team members Giacomo Bompieri and Ottavia Tameni.
IPC is grateful to the HSC sponsors for their generous support:
- Gold sponsors: Weller Tools, Thales
- Silver Sponsors: Almit, Ateliers Systems, JBC Soldering Tools, NCAB Group, Optilia, Polygone CAO, SFM-Societe Française de Microscopie
“We were very excited to hold the IPC Hand Soldering Competition in Italy for the first time,” said Philippe Leonard, IPC Europe director. “IPC thanks and congratulates all the participants and their companies for their interest and for taking up the hand-soldering competition challenge.”
For more information on HSC competitions in Europe, contact Leonard at PhilippeLeonard@ipc.org.