Best Technical Papers at IPC APEX EXPO 2022 Selected
The best technical conference papers of IPC APEX EXPO 2022 have been selected. Voted on by members of the IPC APEX EXPO 2022 Technical Program Committee (TPC), the paper authors will be recognized during show opening remarks on Tuesday, January 25.
“The TPC is absolutely focused on providing highest quality content to the technical conference,” said Matt Kelly, IPC chief technologist. “This commitment to quality is reflected in this year's selection of Best of Conference, NextGen, and Best Student Research papers. We extend our congratulations to all the award winners."
Taking top honors in the Best of Conference category, the winning papers are:
- “Analysis of a Dynamic Flexed Flat Cable Harness” by Bhanu Sood, Ph.D., NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. His co-authors are Mary E. Wusk, Eric Burke, Dave Dawicke, George Slenski, NASA Langley Research Center; and Stephen Lebair, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. This paper will be presented during Technical Conference Session 7 on Tuesday, January 25.
- “Microvia Reliability Testing Utilizing D-Coupons to Understand Best Design Practice” by Kevin Kusiak, Lockheed Martin. This paper will be presented during Technical Conference Session 2 on Tuesday, January 25.
- “A Critical Analysis of CAF Testing—Temperature, Humidity, and the Reality of Field Performance” by Kevin Knadle, TTM Technologies, Inc. This paper will be presented during Technical Conference Session 11 on Tuesday, January 25.
The NextGen best paper is awarded to:
- “Bio-based Encapsulation Resins: Good for the Environment, Good for Your Environment” by Beth Turner, Electrolube. Turner will present her paper during Technical Conference Session 28 on Thursday, January 27.
Selected for the Student Research award, the best paper is:
- “Reliability and IMC Layer Evolution of Homogenous Lead-Free Solder Joints During Thermal Cycling” by Mohamed El Amine Belhadi, Ph.D. Candidate, Auburn University. His co-authors are Xin Wei, Palash Vyas, Rong Zhao, Sa’d Hamasha, Haneen Ali, Jeff Suhling, Pradeep Lall, Barton C. Prorok, all with Auburn University. The paper will be presented at Technical Conference Session 32 on Thursday, January 27.
In addition to the “best of” categories, eight papers were selected in the honorable mention category. Honorable mentions go to:
- “Towards Artificial Intelligence in SMT Inspection Processes” by Mario Peutler, Continental Automotive GmbH; co-authors Michael Boesl, Johannes Brunner and Thomas Kleinert, Ph.D., Continental Automotive GmbH.
- “A Multiphase Model of Intermittent Contact in Lubricated Electrical Contacts” by Robert Jackson, Auburn University; co-author Santosh Angadi, Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology.
- “Electro-thermal-mechanical Modeling of One-Dimensional Conductors, Whiskers, and Wires Including Convection, and Considering Tin, Bismuth, Zinc and Indium” by Robert Jackson, Auburn University; co-author Erika R. Crandall, TE Connectivity.
- “Design and Testing of Three Levels of Microvias for High-Reliability PCBs” by Maarten Cauwe, Ph.D., imec-CMST; co-authors Jason Furlong, PWB Interconnect Solutions; Stan Heltzel, ESA-ESTEC; Marnix Van De Slyeke, ACB; Bob Neves, Microtek Changzhou Laboratories; Kevin Knadle, TTM Technologies.
- “Recrystallisation and the Resulting Crystal Structures in Plated Microvias” by Roger Massey, Atotech GmbH; co-authors T. Bernhard, K. Klaeden, S. Zarwell, S. Kempa, E. Steinhaeuser, S. Dieter, F. Brüning, all with Atotech GmbH.
- “Defluxing of Copper Pillar Bumped Flip Chips” by Ravi Parthasarathy, ZESTRON Corporation; co-author Umut Tosun, ZESTRON Corporation.
- “Reliability SoH Degradation and Life Prediction of Thin Flexible Batteries Under Flex-to-Install Dynamic Folding, Dynamic Twisting and Battery Lamination” by Pradeep Lall, Ph.D., Auburn University; co-authors Ved Soni, Jinesh Narangaparambil, Hyesoo Jang, Auburn University; Scott Miller, NextFlex Manufacturing Institute.
- “Electromechanical Testing of Flexible Hybrid Electronics” by Mark Poliks, Ph.D., Binghamton University; co-authors Mohammed Alhendi, Behnam Garakani, Udara S. Somarathna, Gurvinder Singh Khinda, all with State University of New York at Binghamton.
All technical conference papers were evaluated on their technical content, originality, test procedures and data used to deduce conclusions, quality of illustrations and the clarity and professionalism of writing as well as value to the industry.
To register for the IPC APEX EXPO 2022 technical conference or for more information on all the activities taking place, including professional development courses, exhibition, standards development committee meetings, keynote presentations, networking activities and more, visit www.IPCAPEXEXPO.org.