Translated Training Materials
Translated training materials for this program are available. Additional languages are continuously being added.
Two training options are available for users of the J-STD-001E Space Applications Electronic hardware Addendum. CIT and CIS Optional Module 6 course material is additional training for training individuals with a current J-STD-001 CIT or CIS credential.
A completely separate course that trains CIS only to J-STD-001E Class 3 and Space Addendum requirements is also available. This four-day course is not modular and does not cover Class 1 or 2 requirements.
Training material order lists for these two space addendum training options is under the "Support for…" links above.
Creating Excellence in Electronics Assembly
The IPC J-STD-001 Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies has emerged as the preeminent authority for electronics assembly manufacturing. The standard describes materials, methods and verification criteria for producing high quality soldered interconnections. The standard emphasizes process control and sets industry-consensus requirements for a broad range of electronic products.
IPC received hundreds of requests from companies worldwide to support this critical standard with a formal training program that recognizes individuals as qualified instructors and provides them with teaching materials. Now, IPC has an industry developed and approved comprehensive, hands-on solder training and certification program based on J-STD-001 that gives companies all the tools they need to increase employee skills and performance.
How the Certification Program Works
IPC's J-STD-001 Training and Certification Program is built on a train-the-trainer instructional model. A company seeking to create an IPC Licensed J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainer sends their candidate to an IPC Licensed J-STD-001 Certification Center. The training program uses soldering labs and demonstrations as well as classroom instruction to teach the standard criteria.
Certified IPC Trainer candidates who successfully complete the soldering workmanship portions of the course and the certification examination are given the instructional materials needed for training Application Specialists. The Application Specialists training is "modularized," meaning that training on the entire document is not required. Application Specialists must be trained on the introductory section, and then may be trained on other modules covering: wires and terminals, through hole technology, surface mount technology and inspection.
Instructor training requires the use of lead-free solder for at least 50% of the workmanship projects. The type of solder alloy used for application specialist training is optional, based on the needs of the company.
Download the course synopsis (schedule format) (.pdf)
IPC's J-STD-001 Training and Certification Program provides individuals with a valuable, portable credential that recognizes their understanding of the J-STD-001. This program is offered as a service to industry, therefore its adoption is not a precondition for any company to purchase the standard or claim that they build product to its requirements.
Those interested in company-wide quality assurance initiatives have an IPC-sponsored program to support their commitment to continuous operations and product improvement. IPC recognition sends a strong message to customers that your company is serious about implementing J-STD-001.
All IPC J-STD-001 Registered Instructors receive the instructional materials for teaching the Operator Proficiency training course, including:
- A CD-ROM with full color visuals covering all aspects of the standard and training course, student handbook files for royalty-free printing, and all reports and forms required for conducting Application Specialist training. 35 mm slides are available separately
- An instructor guide for conducting all the Application Specialist training modules
- Open and closed book examinations for all the Application Specialist Training Modules
- Copies of the J-STD-001 through 006, a copy of the J-STD-001 Handbook (IPC-HDBK-001) and a copy of IPC-9191 General Guidelines for Implementation of Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- A student handbook for use in the classroom portions of the course
- Artwork for soldering test boards. (Certification Centers will provide standardized test boards for Certified IPC Trainer candidates. Test kits based on this artwork are recommended for Application Specialist soldering demonstrations.)
- Official serialized IPC certificate of course completion
Application Specialist training materials, including student handbooks and certificates, may be purchased from IPC only by Certified IPC Trainers and the companies they represent. Certified IPC Trainers may teach the course at any location and set a training fee, if applicable.
The term for a J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainer is two years. Re-certification training is conducted at the Licensed Certification Centers.
Who Should Become an IPC J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainer?
Assembly process engineers, quality assurance supervisors, training managers and others responsible for the quality and reliability of soldered electronic assemblies are excellent candidates for the program.
Any company that uses J-STD-001 or is considering its adoption can use the program to address the training requirement identified in the standard.
While there are no formal entrance requirements, Certified IPC Trainer candidates must have excellent hand soldering skills and ideally, in training as well.
Topics Covered in the Registered Instructor Training Course
- Instructional skills and the roles and responsibilities of Certified IPC Trainers
- General requirements, such as safety, tools and electrostatic discharge (ESD)
- Wire and terminal assembly requirements, demonstrations and laboratory
- Through hole technology requirements, demonstrations and laboratory
- Surface mount technology requirements, demonstrations and laboratory
- General soldered connection acceptance requirements (including Lead Free)
- Machine and reflow soldering process requirements
- Test methods and related standards
- Using statistical process control methodology
How to register for IPC's J-STD-001 Training and Certification Program
The companies listed below are IPC Licensed J-STD-001 Certification Centers. These sites control the fees and schedules for the Certified IPC Trainer training course. Some centers may bring the training to a location near you. Contact these facilities today for price and registration information. For program information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact IPC at +1 847-597-2802.