IPC Training and Certification Program Using IPC-7711 and IPC 7721
Rework … Repair and Remain Competitive
A Hands-on Approach to the Restoration of Electronic Assemblies
Translated Training Materials
Translated training materials for this program are available. Additional languages are continuously being added.
The Stakes Don't Get Any Higher
The printed circuit board is loaded with expensive components…and it does not work! There is no starting over, and the choices seem ominous: scrap it or send it out. Either way, it's going to cost you. Do you have a third option? IPC's Rework, Repair and Modification Training and Certification Program offers your company the money-saving alternative: fix it yourself!
This train-the-trainer program teaches industry-approved techniques on through hole and surface mount rework, land, conductor and laminate repair. It also provides a flexible, highly skills-oriented training program with teaching materials that enable a qualified representative from your company to train operators on a variety of procedures from the IPC-7711B/7721B Rework of Electronic Assemblies/Repair and Modification of Printed Boards and Electronic Assemblies.
Bringing Rework and Repair to Your Company
Companies participating in IPC's Rework, Repair and Modification Program send candidates to approved IPC-7711/7721 training centers for forty hours of intensive, hands-on instruction. Candidates who pass the classroom exam and skills demonstrations are recognized by IPC as "Certified IPC Trainers," and leave with a lesson plan, visuals and materials for training Certified IPC Specialists on up to nine different assembly rework and repair modules. IPC-7711/7721 Certified IPC Trainers are certified for two years.
The Certified IPC Trainer course covers common rework and repair techniques. Certified IPC Specialist training is modular and only the introductory module, Common Procedures, is a required element. Other Certified IPC Specialist level modules are taught based on a company's needs. Certified IPC Specialists are certified for two years for each module taken.
Training Topics Include:
- Product classifications, skill levels, tools and materials
- Basic surface mount and through hole component removal
- Land preparation and component installation
- Primary heating methods: conductive, convective and others
- Handling electronic assemblies
- Wire splicing procedures
- Through hole component removal and installation
- Chip and MELF rework procedures
- SOIC/SOT, J-lead and QFP rework
- Printed wiring board circuit and laminate repair
- Conformal coating removal
Who Should Become an IPC-7711/7721 Registered Instructor?
While there are no formal entrance requirements, Certified IPC Trainer candidates must have excellent hand soldering skills. Training, manufacturing and quality assurance supervisors with considerable experience in both teaching and assembly rework procedures are strongly encouraged to receive this certification.
The Benefits of Certification: What's in it for You and Your Company?
The credential, the savings, and the materials, that's what! This program provides Certified IPC Trainers and their companies with a valuable industry-recognized credential. Clearly, the greatest asset of this program can be measured in dollars saved on restoring very expensive electronics assemblies. IPC-7711/7721 Certified IPC Trainers also receive teaching materials for conducting all the modules of Certified IPC Specialist training.
These materials include:
- A copy of IPC-7711C/7721C Rework, Modification, and Repair of Electronic Assemblies
- Equipment parts list and artwork for test/practice kits
- A CD-ROM or digital download with full color teaching visuals (PPT format) illustrating every aspect of the IPC-7711C/7721C document and Student handouts for printing.
- All certification reports for this program are to be completed using the online Certification Portal
- Open book exams on "Common Procedures" to be completed the online Certification Portal application
- A certificate of completion issued through the online Certification Portal
Certified IPC Specialist training materials may be purchased from IPC only by Certified IPC Trainers and the companies they represent. Certified IPC Trainers may teach the course at any location and set a training fee, if applicable.
The term for an IPC-7711C/7721C Certified IPC Trainer is two years. Re-certification training is conducted at the Authorized Certification Centers.
How to register for IPC's Rework and Repair Instructor Training
Authorized IPC-7711/7721 Training Centers are listed here. These organizations provide both Registered Instructor and Operator Proficiency Training. Centers operate independently and set their own course schedules and fees. To register for the program, contact a training center. For program information, please contact the Certification Help Desk or contact IPC at +1 847-597-2802.
Support for Training Rwk/Rep Instructors
- Print the certificate from the Online Certification Portal
- Printing a test copy on a blank piece of paper first.
- Adjust for any alignment issues on the Word doc.
- Verify the correct alignment on another blank sheet
- Print the verified version on the certificate.
Support for Training Rwk/Rep Certified IPC Specialists
Updates to Training Materials for Policy & Procedure:
The slides in the downloadable Zip files are the complete, module Policy and Procedure modules. The slides are intended to be used with revision 5 of the Policy and Procedures document.
Instructions for use:
- Download the files
- Unzip the PPT presentation
- Remove the existing PPT presentation from the training program
- Use the new, downloaded PPT presentation for presenting in training classes.